Performance changes following Founders closure
18th March, 2016
Acclaimed Polish jazz pianist Artur Dutkiewicz will perform in the Founders Theatre foyer this month, one of several changes to planned shows.
The Council's Chief Executive Richard Briggs announced the closure of the theatre's main auditorium in February, following an independent report which deemed the theatre's flying system to be a health and safety risk.
Staff from H3, the Council's event facilities arm, have been working closely with event promoters to relocate performances from Founders to other venues in the city.
Sean Murray, Executive Director of H3, says Dutkiewicz's performance – supported by Banda de La Casa – will make use of the Founders foyer.
Dutkiewicz will mainly play works from his latest solo album of Chopin-inspired music, Mazurkas.
"Although the Founders auditorium isn't an option in the near future, with the support of the tour promoter we can confidently host Artur's performance in the foyer, and that's going to make this unique," Mr Murray says.
Tickets for the performance are still available through Ticketek.
The New Zealand Symphony Orchestra's performance of Brahms and Beethoven material, scheduled for Founders, has been shifted to Clarence Street Theatre, but remains on the scheduled date of Friday, 8 April. Ticketek is issuing new tickets for this event.
Other changes to events include:
- Judith Durham, The Seekers' vocalist, 17 April - moved to Claudelands Arena (theatre mode)
- HMS Pinafore, 19 April – moved to Clarence Street Theatre
- 2 Degrees Comedy Convoy, 27 May – moved to Claudelands Heaphy Room
- Menopause The Musical, 17 August – moved to Claudelands Arena (theatre mode)
- The Gruffalo, 21/22 August – moved to Claudelands Arena (theatre mode).
Ticket holders should contact Ticketek with any questions.